Sea to Summit introduces The Specialist Solo - a state of the art, ultralight, one-person shelter designed for technical pursuits where weight and performance are key. Whether you are on a cycle touring trip, an extended unsupported trek or a paddling expedition - the new Sea to Summit Specialist shelters give you all the space and comfort of a tent, with the lightweight, compact size and performance better than most bivys.
The floor / vestibule fabric of the Specialists is rated at 1200mm hydrostatic head. The canopy fabric is rated at 1000mm. This is sufficiently waterproof for light to steady rain. However, if your intended usage will take you into areas where you expect very heavy/wind-driven rain, it will be necessary to pitch a Specialist in a sheltered spot (utilizing trees or other natural cover). If the ground on which you are pitching a Specialist shelter is saturated, use of the Groundsheet is recommended to prevent moisture entry through the floor.
The silver canopy fabric of the Specialists is Pertex Endurance fabric and the breathability is rated at an MVTR of 7000ml/m²/24h. Providing there is a sufficient temperature and moisture gradient (ie providing the outside air is cooler and drier than the inside air by an adequate margin), very little condensation should form on the inside of the canopy. In humid conditions, where the moisture gradient is insufficient, or in cold conditions where moisture vapor will condense on contact with the canopy, some condensation is to be expected. Ensuring good cross-flow ventilation will help in this case.
If your intended usage takes you into areas where you expect significant humidity, a single-skin shelter is not the best choice.
The floor fabric of the Specialists should be used on sandy or grassy surfaces and snow where damage to the floor fabric is unlikely. However, on rocky surfaces, or where sharp objects such as pine cones or roots are present, the optional Groundsheet is recommended to prevent damage to the floor.
- Includes set of 2 poles and 6 pegs made from 7075 alloy for the best strength-to-weight ratio
- Shelter can also be erected with a pair of trekking poles and natural anchors, making it perfect for ounce-saving enthusiasts, achieving a minimum packed weight of 15.7 oz
- Shell is made from Pertex® Endurance, a 20 denier ultra-lightweight waterproof breathable nylon fabric in conjunction with a 15 denier waterproof nylon for the walls, vestibule and the floor
- Seam sealed throughout, the Specialist Solo offers superior waterproofness while also maintaning breathability to manage condensation effectively
- Ultra-fine mesh panel doors keep insects away and allow for maximum ventilation
- **Due to local laws this product cannot be shipped to: California, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, and Canada.
|Number of People||1
|Number of Doors||1
|Number of Poles||2
|Packaged Weight||1 lb 6 oz
|Minimum Weight||15.7 oz
|Floor Area||14.5 sq ft
|Number of vestibules||1
|Vestibule Area||3.9 sq ft