National Geographic Maps: Ultimate Hikers Gear Guide - Andrew Skurka
Our Price: $19.95
Supreme long-distance hiker Andrew Skurka shares his hard-earned knowledge in this essential guide to backpacking gear and skills. Described by National Geographic as “one of the best traveled and fastest hikers on the planet,” and named “Adventurer of the Year” by Outside and “Person of the Year” by Backpacker, Skurka recounts what he’s learned from more than 30,000 miles of long-distance adventures, most recently a 4,700-mile 6-month loop around Alaska and Canada’s Yukon.
Whether you’re a first-time backpacker, an occasional weekend warrior or a seasoned long-distance trekker, you’ll love this guide. Learn exactly what you need to carry—both on your back and between your ears—for all seasons and circumstances through a show-and-tell of clothing, footwear, backpacks, shelter and sleep systems, and more, as well as through detailed articles on foot care, campsite selection and hiking efficiency. Skurka’s practical and priceless recommendations give you all the tools and techniques you’ll need to hit the trail.
- Author: Andrew Skurka (Adventurer of the Year, Outside Magazine)
- Summaries of similarities and differences between key materials and product types (e.g. down versus synthetic insulation)
- Step-by-step directions (e.g. how to make the author's four favorite dinners)
- Tips, a short but helpful bit of advice that is related to but not covered in the text.
- Techniques that are "Tried and True", which provides some of the most insightful text (e.g. how to choose a campsite)
- "Exact recommendations made by the author, focusing on product types and also listing specific products that he prefer.
- Personal anecdotes, where the author gives the text some color, character and historical context.
|Dimensions:||5 1/4 x 8 3/8 inches|