The Wilderness Guide brings the savvy of the world's most famous and respected outdoor organization to everyone -- from the 16 million backpacking Americans to the more than 265 million people, tenderfeet and trail-hardened hikers, who visit our national parks annually.
- Author: Mark Harvey
- Selecting equipment -- including discussions of the advantages and disadvantages of products such as the internal frame pack, lighter-weight boots, and freestanding tents
- The latest "leave no trace" camping techniques
- Traveling safely and sensibly -- including vital information on maps, compasses, and tips on crossing difficult terrain
- Backcountry cooking, with tips on building fires and tricks for making gourmet meals
- Search-and-rescue techniques, including how to organize a self-sufficient search group and when to call in professional rescue teams