This completely updated "National Geographic Guide to the State Parks", a companion to the best-selling "National Geographic Guide to the National Parks", highlights 214 of the best state parks across the country. From free to low-cost, from Florida to Alaska, from 6-acre Iao Valley to 204,000-acre Baxter, the state parks appeal to the day-visitor or the weekend escapist. Of the state parks' 25,000 miles of trails and recreation, the authors have selected favourites for hiking and biking, horseback riding, and wildflower gazing as well as ample opportunities for the birdwatcher or rock climber, the wildlife observer or the amateur archaeologist. Gorgeous, colour photographs capture the splendour of the parks, insider tips from state parks staff are invaluable planning tools and easy-to-use maps highlight sites, trails and campgrounds.
- 215 of the best parks, hand-picked by state parks directors
- 32 handy maps highlighting sites, trails, and campgrounds
- Insider tips from parks staff
- 200 full color photographs
- Convenient color-coded tabs and comprehensive index for quick reference