If you are planning to hike the Hermit Trail, this trail guide is indispensable, with extensive information on desert hiking, trail landmarks, history, geology, ecology and much more. Includes detailed maps. This trail guide combines fascinating history and geology with enough challenging hiking to satisfy both seasoned trekkers and day-trippers. All hikes descend through the rim cliffs and the Coconino Sandstone on a series of steep switchbacks, and all return to the rim by retracing your steps and ascending those switchbacks.
- Full color photos and maps
- Maps show locations of water and seasonal water as well as bathrooms, campgrounds, notable trail features and much more
- Great directions and trail descriptions
- Sections on the history, ecology and geology of each trail
- Safety tips specific to the Grand Canyon