This guide describes more than thirty of the best hikes within an hour’s drive of Anchorage—from a whole host of spectacular trails in Chugach State Park to inviting urban trails for after-work jaunts. Whether you’re in the mood for an easy nature walk or a strenuous day hike or even an overnighter, this guide offers plenty to choose from.
About the Author:
John Tyson is a freelance photographer and writer whose work has appeared in numerous national magazines, calendars, and books.
- Twin Peaks Trail—great views and wilderness adventure
- Hillside Trail System
- Flattop Mountain Trail
- Historic Iditarod Trail
- Turnagain Arm Trail–with beautiful views of Cook Inlet
- Winter Creek Trail—with its mature spruce trees
- Tony Knowles Coastal Trail and other urban trails
- Each hike features full-color photos; a brief route description; thorough directions to the trailhead and beyond (GPS coordinates included); a detailed, accurate trail map; and at-a-glance information on distance and difficulty level, hiking time, canine compatibility, and fees and permits. Inside you’ll also find Green Tips and sidebars on local lore, points of interest, tips for hiking in bear country, and the area’s incredible array of wildlife.
|Date Published||May 5, 2009
|Dimensions||8.9 x 6 x 0.6 inches